Knights beaten by Rabbitohs

Knights beaten by Rabbitohs

The Newcastle Knights were beaten 48-6 by the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium on Saturday evening.

Three minutes in Souths scored on the back of a penalty, Bryson Goodwin leaping highest to collect a kick.

Goodwin added the extras to his own try, and five minutes later he set up winger Aaron Gray for another four-pointer. Without the conversion, the score was 10-0 with ten minutes played.

Five minutes later Jarrod Mullen placed a clever grubber down the short side, forcing Gray to knock it out of play for another set of six. Tyler Randell came close to the line from dummy-half soon after, but the Souths defence held firm.

It looked like there was no stopping the Knights in their next set though, Jaelen Feeney burning his defenders out wide with sheer pace to get Akuila Uate over the line. However, the video referee ruled obstruction in the build up.

Soon after Souths were over again, Gray taking advantage of superior numbers on the left edge to grab his second.

Goodwin again missed the conversion, but less than two minutes later his side struck again when Luke Keary finished off a break through the middle. This time there were no mistakes with the conversion, the score 20-0.

With four minutes to play in the first half Gray completed his hat-trick as the Rabbitohs again executed a play on their left flank. Goodwin again had to kick from the sideline and his effort was waved away.

Early in the second half things only got worse for the Knights as a heavy tackle on Uate saw him injured. While he stayed on the field, his impact was severely reduced.

Furthermore, utility forward David Bhana didn’t come out for the second half due to an ankle injury that’ll need scans, leaving the red and blues short on the bench.

Minutes later the Rabbitohs made more points, Alex Johnston putting the ball down in the right corner. Goodwin converted from the sideline to push the score to 30-0.

Four minute later Johnston was over for his second, beating three defenders to run 20 metres. Goodwin again converted, and 15 minutes from time he spun around Korbin Sims to score his second.

With the game in it’s dying embers the Knights finally looked to have grabbed their first points when Danny Levi dived over from dummy-half. They were again denied by the video referee though, this time for being held up over the line.

The Rabbitohs bounced back with another try minutes later, but there was no denying the Knights eventually when Nathan Ross crossed over the line two minutes from time. Trent Hodkinson converted out wide to make the final score 48-6.

The Knights went into the match with no changes. Newcastle return home to host the Canberra Raiders on Saturday at Hunter Stadium.


Newcastle Knights 6 (T: Ross, G: Hodkinson 1/1)
South Sydney Rabbitohs 48 (T: Gray 3, Johnston 2, Goodwin 2, Keary, Johnston, Hunt, G: Goodwin 6/9)

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.
This site uses XenWord.